The Cannon Foundation was established in 1943 by Charles A. Cannon, President and CEO of Cannon Mills Company. The Foundation continues his philanthropic legacy by funding capital and equipment projects for organizations across Mr. Cannon’s home state of North Carolina.
Watch our video to learn more about what kind of projects The Cannon Foundation supports.
Non-profit hospitals serving rural areas, hospices, federally qualified health centers and free clinics can be considered. Organizations serving special needs populations as well as mental health and substance use disorders in North Carolina can also be considered. Projects can range from medical equipment to construction or renovation of buildings or building infrastructure.
The Foundation supports private colleges, community colleges serving Tier 1 or 2 counties and small public colleges across North Carolina. Projects that construct or renovate buildings or building infrastructure are considered as well as training equipment. Rural public libraries with capital needs may also apply.
Organizations that meet basic needs or help individuals escape the cycle of violence or poverty may apply for their capital or equipment needs, especially if they help in underserved parts of North Carolina. Projects can range from new roofs or HVAC systems to construction or renovation of buildings.
Rollover the map below in order to view grant data for each region.
Qualifying organizations must be well established with at least five years of successful operations before a grant can be considered.
Projects with a budget greater than $100,000 should wait to apply until your organization has identified at least 65% of the total funding needed and when the project can be completed within 12-18 months. This does not mean that the Foundation will fund the remaining 35%.
Projects with other funding sources or community collaboration are preferred.
If a project will expand service capacity, then the organization should have a clear business plan for funding ongoing operations. The Foundation does not fund operational expenses such as salaries or overhead costs.
Limited grants can be considered for up to 75% of the cost of a vehicle if an organization can clearly explain why it is critical to service delivery. The organization must also have the capacity within their operational budget to provide ongoing insurance, fuel and maintenance and provide properly licensed drivers as well as a plan for how future replacement vehicles will be funded. At least two quotes for the vehicle must be provided.
Phone systems, computer equipment and website development are considered basic needs of operation and are not normally considered for grant requests.
The Foundation does not want to create dependency. Organizations should wait at least two years between grant requests.
While not required, staff is always willing to provide guidance either by phone or by email.
The Cannon Foundation is not interested in naming opportunities.
The Foundation does not provide start-up funding, scholarships, grants to individuals or operating funds including salaries or overhead costs.
William C. Cannon, Jr., President
Robert C. Hayes, Vice President
William M. Connolly, Secretary
Edward K. Prewitt, Jr., Treasurer
Eugene W. Cochrane, Jr.
Winslow H. Galloway
Thomas M. Grady
George W. Liles, Jr.
Elizabeth L. Quick
William S. Fisher
Dan L. Gray